Monday, April 3, 2017

5th Blog

 Chapter 8 defines, the various development of adolescence. Adolescence is the process of growing and changing. It usually explained as the start of puberty.  For girls’ it’s around the age 11 when they begin to menstruate and for boy’s it’s around 12 when they have their first ejaculation. These are times when boys begin to grow pubic hairs, begin to think about dating and begin to have an interest in sex. P.186 Parents usually noticed this change because of the child’s mood swings. I noticed when my 15-year-old son was 13, I dealt with mood swings from him. I feel that because he’s involved in all sports it helps balanced his mood changes.  I am currently experiencing the same with my 12-year-old.  He’s been moody and going through major physical changes. He's involved in sports so, I’m hoping that it balances him out.   Adolescence is a time when adolescents are worried about their image.  This can lead to eating disorder. Eating disorder is the third most common chronic condition among adolescents. P. 190 The two main types of eating disorders are anorexia and bulimia My sons do not suffer from eating disorder. Although, I’ve noticed that my 15-year-old wants to be buff and like to spend his time at the school gym.

Cognitive growth is also an important part of adolescence. The parietal and the frontal lobes of the brain and subcortical region allow for great growth in a teenager’s process of thinking. Adolescence is a stage which Piaget categories as the formal operational stages. According to Fiore, L. B., Ramkissoonsingh, R., & Hotham, L. (2014), “Jean Piaget proposed that the ability to think develops in four stages; the sensorimotor stage (birth to 2 years old); the preoperational stage (2 to 7 years old); the concrete operational stage (7 to 11 years old); and the formal operational stage (11 years old and up).” p.191 Erickson categorizes adolescence as his fifth stage.  He saw adolescence as a time of exploration and analyzing oneself. Erickson identifies this stage as an identity crisis.

Everyone goes through adolescence and it has both negatives and positives.  One the positive of going through puberty is that we improve mental abilities to get a more realistic view of ourselves. The negatives are teen pregnancy, mental health issues, substance abuse and criminal behavior. I have 3 sons and two of them fall within the age range of adolescence. My oldest son is 15 years old and I find myself talking about respecting your body. Also, respecting others even if they don’t respect their own. Another topic I’m always talking about is for him to think before posting or sending because we live in an era where nothing gets deleted. With my 12-year-old, our conversation is different. I think it’s because he’s not in high school yet and my oldest is. I felt that I needed to inform my 15-year old because he was entering high school. I feel that high school is different than junior high. After reading chapter 8, I feel that I may need to start talking more about girls and sex (ouch). I’ve talked to my 12-year-old son about puberty and the major physical changes but not sex or girls.

2 comments:

  1. Hard conversations to have,
    I agree that those conversations are crucial to young men. The open communication with parents are at times painful and embarrassing, but it is better that it is addressed with trusting parents than with distrustful friends. During this stage it might be a bit difficult to have these conversations because they believe they are adults yet they still have the body and behaviors of a child.
    By giving them positive examples of respect towards themselves and women, you are creating a positive ripple in their lives. This in turn will transcend to their future relationship with their spouses and children. Many don't see the positive effects that these conversations have, especially in a positive and understanding environment.
    Good luck,
    Thanks for sharing,
    Veronica Vergara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing how these stages impact your children. The increased body image awareness does also impact boys as well. The research on adolescent male eating disorders is weak at best because many don't seek treatment. However, overall caring more about your appearance is a trend that most kids deal with and with that comes increased self awareness and self esteem. Sometimes positively or negatively.

    ReplyDelete