Monday, March 13, 2017

2nd Blog post


This chapter was based on the various views and interpretations of theories on human development by various theorists. These theories have been widely used in the understanding and explaining of human growth and development.
Freud’s 5-stage Psychoanalytic theory has changed due to social and cultural influences which leads to the Erikson theory.  Erik Erikson’s Psychosocial theory has 8 stages and each stage experiences a crisis, which must be conquered in order to reach the next stage. These theories have received both criticism and praise. A few of the positives include: the focus on life’s early years and that throughout life changes occur. Some of the criticism includes: that the unconscious and or older memories aren’t influential to development and that the negativity on human development is overly emphasized.

The next theory is Piaget’s cognitive developmental theory, this theory is based on four stages, these four stages revolve around the assimilation and accommodation adaptation process. Piaget believed “that children function as ‘little scientists’ investigating their own hypotheses as they make sense of the world” p. 36.  Vygotsky had the sociolcultural theory to explain human development. This theory is based on children’s social processes, the interaction of children with adults and it  has three fundamental themes. Vygotsky was the leader in the role of culture on development, he placed great emphasis on the importance of sociability and growth. Cognitive theories also receive both criticism and praise. Some praise comes with the better understanding towards human development that this theory has provided, such as: viewing people as participants in the building of knowledge and meaning and as seeing a conscious effort in the understanding of developmental advances. Criticism includes the underestimation of the cognitive skills of younger kids.  

I agree with all these theories because they have all been contributors to human development. Vygotsky’s theory appears to be the more influential at this current time because he has a great emphasis on cultural and social contributions.  I believe in  Freud’s theory as he is one of the founding fathers of human development. However, even though his theory has been used as a stepping stone, the move current theories of Erikson, Piaget and Vygotsky includes social and cultural influence. This  seems to be more well rounded and inclusive of all developmental aspects.  

2 comments:

  1. Nice run down of the theorists. I completely agree that Vygotsky has become very important in the contemporary field. Many developmental psychologists have under utilized the importance of culture and environment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erikson's Psychosocial Theory of Development was something I anted to cover in my blog but I went in another direction. However, I am happy you brought up his 8 stages of development because I feel they hold a significant role in overall development. I remember learning about these in a previous class and the adolescence stage always stuck out to me.

    This stage is between 12-18 and deals with identity vs. identity confusion. This is such a sensitive stage because we know this is when kids experience their most conscious growth both mentally and physically. I remember being in jr. high and always worrying about image and what others thought. It seemed to be one giant costume party where identity can easily be confused. The media and society put so much focus on how to look, what to wear, and how to act that young minds are easily confused. Great post!

    ReplyDelete