Monday, March 20, 2017

3 Blog

Chapters 3, 4 and 5 of the lifespan deal with the human voyage from the beginnings and throughout the prenatal process, the birthing and finally on to infantry.
 
Chapter 3 details the various prenatal development periods and the influences that can affect these stages. These influences are mostly biological from chromosomes, DNA and Genes.  From the natural fertilization process and on to assisted reproduction technologies. There are 40 weeks of milestones in the prenatal development of the fetus. Throughout the milestones there are important influences both biological and environmental that have to be emphasized such as nutrition, exercise, culture, and emotions for the well-being of the embryo. Negligence to any of these critical interactions can lead to developmental risk.  I have a niece and a nephew both from the same parents. They were both born with cleft lips. My niece’s cleft lip was not as severe as my nephew’s. My nephew’s lip and gums were not fully or properly developed. Cleft lips do not run in our family nor in her family.  She spent many years wondering why both of her children were born with cleft’s lip if it’s not heredity. The only theory she could come up with was her job environment.  She worked in the casino for many years and was there throughout her pregnancies. Back then, smoking was allowed in the casino area.  I believe the environment she worked in had an impact on her children’s’ abnormalities.  She inhaled all the cigarette smoke for more than 8 hours a day. In chapter 3, “smoking is probably the most common environmental threat to pregnancy.” P.73 Also, tobacco affects the reproduction process such as: fertility, conception, pregnancy, fetal development, labor, and delivery P.73.  My sister-in-law continues to work at the casino because it no longer allows people to smoke inside.


Chapter 4 details the birthing process and the many challenges and interventions.  The various labor stages and sequences to different delivery methods. I remember when I first found out that I was pregnant. I was in my mid 20’s. I was very excited yet very nervous. Looking back, I regret not getting an epidural. The reason why I decided not to get the epidural because my mother influenced me to deliver naturally. Naturally meant without any drugs. When I asked her why did she recommend not taking the epidural, her response was “it would affect the baby.” After hearing that, it frightened me because of course, you don’t want anything to happen to your baby.  Til this day,  I don't understand why a mother would allow her daughter to experience that type of pain. I think cultural played a big role why my mother talked me into delivery naturally.  Cultural diversity has a strong say in the various birthing methods.  Some of these include natural childbirth and cesarean section.  However, it’s not always easy. Thankfully, I delivered 3 beautiful boys without having a c-section.  As with any medical procedure, there are always challenges and complications that can arise with any birthing methods. When the baby arrives, everyone life changes.  The impact it has one’s life and everyone around the baby is different. It depends on the expectations and family dynamics.
On the negative side, a woman can experience postpartum depression or postpartum blues. There is a difference between the two depression.  Chapter 4 states, “Postpartum ‘blues’ symptoms typically subside within 1 or 2 weeks” p.95.  “Postpartum depression symptoms continue for many weeks or months after delivery” p.95  Another negative is the percentage of single mothers that keeps growing.  According to chapter 4, this percentage has been increasing since 2002. P.96   The positive is that technology and intervention are easily accessible for those that are in needs. I experienced postpartum depression after having my first child.  It was a difficult time for me. Everything was changing in my life and I didn’t have a mother support. I was able to overcome these challenges with the help of my son’s father and therapy.

In chapter 5, deals with the physical development of the infants.  The mile stones on a baby shape come with the growing process.  Such as head control, creepy and crawling to fully standing and walking. P. 108. As an infant body develop, so does their cognitive development.  Part of this process is what Piaget called the 6 stage sensorimotor period.P 112. These stages are within the first 2 years of life. However, his theory has not gone undisputed.  As many believe that cognitive development is more gradual than abrupt. This is a period in which infant also experience language development.  This milestone occur during the age of 2 years old. The process is fast and goes until entering elementary. Social and emotional development are also part of the infant growing process. During this stage, they learn about the different roles of emotions. The development process of growing is an amazing gift that God has given us.  

1 comment:

  1. Hi Diana,

    That is very interesting about your niece and nephew with the cleft lip. Since it doesn't run in your family that is insane that is from second hand smoke. That is so scary to think of all the places you cant avoid inhaling the smoke that something this severe could happen. Also reading, you not getting the epidural is a very brave choice. I don't have kids myself, but I have heard how much that helps with the pain and I couldn't imagine not getting one. My mom has encouraged me when the day comes to make sure and get it! Total opposite of yours.
    Thanks for sharing your personal stories.
    -Anne

    ReplyDelete