Monday, April 17, 2017

Blog 7

Chapter 12 talks about death and spirituality. While reading this chapter it brought me sadness because I lost a person that meant so much to me, my grandmother. According to LifeSmart, there are four different types of deaths. The four types are clinical death, brain death, biological death and social death. In modern times, death comes mostly to the elderly because of the newer advanced technology in medicine. People are now able to live longer. “In the United States, the mortality rate has declined from 17 per 1,000 people in 1900 to 8 per 1,000 in 2004,” and “the average life expectancy has been reported at an all-time high of nearly 78 by years” Pg. 280.  My grandmother was 87 years old. The cause of her death was accidental. One afternoon, I got a phone call from one of my uncles letting me know that my other uncle had just put my grandmother in a nursing home. I immediately went to visit her because I knew this wasn’t what she wanted.  I asked her if she knew where she was at and she said, “at the hospital,” but she knew exactly where she was.  Even though my grandmother was 87 years old, she did not suffer from any of the aging diseases. That day we had just had a normal 3-hour long conversation in the morning and four hours after leaving my grandmother, I received a call to inform me that she was at the hospital because she had fallen and broken her hip.  Everything went downhill for her from that moment on. I’m still grieving.

“Grief is an emotional response to the loss of another person.” Pg. 284.  I still think about my grandmother. I’m blessed to know that I was able to say “good-bye.”  Grief can perceive the death of a loved one. There is anticipatory grief and it has four phases to it. The anticipatory grief is an anticipation of someone’s death. The stages are depression, high concern to the ill person, a rehearsal of death, and an attempt to adjust to what is likely to occur after death. Pg. 284. Most grieving gives closure. However, in some instances, there is unresolved grief. There are three types of unresolved grief. There is delayed grief, distorted reaction, and complicated grief. Delayed grief is grief that is postponed for an uncertain amount of time. Distorted grief is when a person feels the illness of the ill. For example, my mother in law died from diabetes and therefore, my husband was worried that he might have diabetes because he was feeling diabetic symptoms. Finally, there is complicated grief.  This type of grieving is when the process takes a while and is intense. Pg. 285-286. Most experts agree that grieving is the healthy part of death. Death is one thing that we all have to face and learn to accept. That’s why we should always give thanks to God for allowing us to live another day.

4 comments:

  1. Glad you touched on how complicated grief can be. For lack of a better word the "good" part of grief is that it can offer closure. However, grief is complicated and you touched on the complexities of unresolved grief. Although difficult embracing grief is seen as productive and does help with closure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Diana,

    Thanks for sharing the story about your grandmother. The death of a loved one is a very difficult event, and the grieving process can last for many years. There is hope for us though - you mentioned “In the United States, the mortality rate has declined from 17 per 1,000 people in 1900 to 8 per 1,000 in 2004". We are making great progress in heath and medicine, and it will perhaps help us live longer, healthier lives. No matter the length of our lives, we have to enjoy the time we have. You said it best, "Death is one thing that we all have to face and learn to accept. That’s why we should always give thanks to God for allowing us to live another day." Thanks for your perspectives this week.

    Phil

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow I can agree is difficult to handle. I have said this so much but its only because of God that I was able to handle my mommy death. If you dont deal with grief it can become overwhelming.

    We all we leave here one day, so I pray that we start to living life as if tomorrow isn't promised. Why, because its not. Am with you I thank God everyday for life and strength to make it. Great blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can only imagine the feelings you must have had. People make decisions at times we don't understand and maybe never will. Knowing that loved ones wishes are not being followed when we are not the ones in control is always so very hard. These conversations are hard to have but need to take place to ensure everyone can have peace.

    ReplyDelete